Cecil Hutson Sermon Archive
June 18, 2006 AM
WE ARE AT WAR!
INTRO: Although I was too young to remember this speech which brought the United States of America into a war with the nation of Japan, I have heard these words many times since they were first spoken: "I ask that Congress declare that the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, December 7, a state of war has existed..." We were at war. And no matter the politics of the matter, President Bush has reminded us numerous times that we are now at war. There is something of which you and I need to be reminded from time to time and it is this. We are at war! Oh, this is a very different war from those of which President Roosevelt and President Bush have spoken. But Christian people are engaged in the struggle of warfare.
I. THE ENEMY?
A. Unfortunately, not a flesh and blood enemy
1. 2 Cor 10:3 - note our warfare is in the flesh but not after the flesh
2. Eph 6:12 - "...against the rulers of the darkness of this world..."
3. it is a totally different kind of war with an unseen enemy - a visible enemy is more easily identified and remembered
B. The enemy is Satan
1. Rev 12:3,4,9,13,15 - the apocalyptic picture of Satan's opposition
2. 1 Chron 21:1 with Zech 3:1 - this has been Satan's history
3. Acts 13:10 - Elymas was a "child of the devil", and as such, he, like the Devil, was the "enemy of all righteousness" (see also Lk 8:12)
C. And Satan does not "fight fair"!
1. he is a liar; he is a deceiver; he is a murderer
2. Jno 8:44
3. would it be easier if he was visible and in the form we often portray him?
II. THE CAUSE?
A. The "broad" answer is Righteousness versus Evil
1. Job 2:3 - this little verse paints the picture so vividly
2. while there is much here beyond my understanding, the issue is clear
3. it is righteousness versus evil ... and Satan is the champion of evil
B. Acts 26:16-18 - To turn people from "the power of Satan unto God"
1. this is truly a struggle for souls!
2. the cause involves seeking the lost and telling them of the "option" of salvation through Jesus' atoning blood
3. people are captives under sentence of death if they remain with Satan!
C. Jude 1:22,23 - To rescue Christians who have fallen again to Satan
1. it is still a struggle for souls
2. Satan's influence and the world's appeal are so very strong - and saints too often find themselves again in Satan's camp
3. Jas 5:19,20 - save the lost ... keep the saved saved!
III. THE DANGERS?
A. War is dangerous!
1. when one enlists in the armed forces, he accepts this reality
2. you and I, Christians, have enlisted in the Lord's army
3. and there are very real dangers we need to acknowledge
B. Notice the following texts:
1. 2 Cor 2:10,11 - Eph 4:26,27 - 2 Cor 11:3
2. fact: Satan is not about to give up on you and me - he is not know as the "destroyer" for no good reason! (Rev 9:11)
3. thus, we must be disciplined, vigilant in the manner of our service and warfare
C. Where is this war being fought?
1. at your workplace, at the school, on the sports field, in your home
2. Satan does not honor any safe harbor - there are no "cease fires"
3. Satan wants your mind and heart ... and everywhere you go, he will be there enticing, opposing
IV. THE COST?
A. Consider2 Cor 10:3-6
1. how often have I read the last words of v. 5? more than I can count
2. the cost in such a warfare is obedience to Christ from our hearts
3. "every thought" must be under the control of our Lord
B. And think, too, of2 Tim 2:3,4
1. there are difficulties we must endure as good soldiers
2. and there are priorities we must never compromise
3. but the cost of this warfare is minuscule compared to the joy of victory
CLOSE: I remember so well the excitement of victory after WW II. The cost of victory was tremendous. But it was well worth it. Will you and I have fought a good fight? Will we have finished our course with joy? Surrender is not an option, my friends.
Cecil A. Hutson
06 June 1